Monday, August 20, 2012
Eleven Things About Me
The lovely Beth over at designPOST recently honored me with the Liebster Award. I've done these before so I'm gonna have to come up with 11 things I've never told you. Well to start off, here are her questions to me and my answers:
1. How did you decide on your blog's name?
It's no coincidence that he name of my blog is closely related to the 90s teen drama My So-Called Life which sadly ended after only one season. I myself am a child of the 90s and love 90s television like Boy Meets World, Home Improvement, and Clarissa Explains It All. It just seemed fitting to use a 90s TV reference as a pun for my new blog showcasing our home. Also, as the title suggests, our home is truly a "so-called" establishment for this present time. I know my true home is in Heaven and I should always live each day with an eternal mindset.
2. Where do you live?
We live in central New Jersey approximately equidistant from the beach, the mountains, rivers, and the city. It doesn't get any better than that.
3. If you could move anywhere, where would you want to go?
My husband and I talk about this all the time actually. After two years of marriage we took the plunge and moved to the Upper West Side of Manhattan. We loved it and part of me will always love the crazy city life but the itch to own a house soon took over and we moved back. When the buziness of Jersey life (and taxes) seems too crazy sometimes we daydream about living in a little bungalow with charming built-ins, crown molding, and cozy nooks in some small town where everyone knows your name.
4. If you won the lottery tomorrow what would be your first big splurge?
An amazing vacation to Europe. We want to go to France, Italy, Scotland, Ireland, England...or all of the above! Then when we got back we'd buy the house of our dreams with loads of character (as described above).
5. Who do you talk to on a daily basis?
My husband, Dan. And my coworkers. My immediate family members aren't big phone talkers we just prefer to see each other in person, which happens weekly. If not more often.
6. Sweet or salty snacks?
Hmm.. I really am divided on this one. I don't eat a lot of "snacks" per se but if I had to choose I'd say sweet.
7. What is your favorite thing about interior design?
I just love seeing people's personalities come to life in their homes and I hope my house properly reflects me, or at least will one day. I love mixing styles and not feeling confined to what's "in style" right now. I'm quite traditional when it comes to the basics (navy blue, white, warm wood) but I do love mixing in unexpected pieces that keep people guessing.
8. What was the first concert you attended?
I believe that was Creed when I was in middle school. Oh man I was obsessed. Still know every song.
9. Do you prefer thrift store re-dos or big store splurges when it comes to your home?
Which do I prefer or which is necessary? Hah. It's no surprise to any homeowner that the decorating budget can be pretty tight sometimes so I love being able to get something second hand that is not only well made and affordable but can be transformed with just some simple touches. Plus older pieces are just so much more interesting and tell a story that cannot be bought in a big box store. If I had unlimited funds, however, I would have a fully upholstered Crate and Barrel bed frame in a heart beat... and a maid to clean up all the cat hair that would inevitably get all over.
10. What can be found on your nightstand?
My Bible, a framed photo of Dan from our honeymoon, an Ikea lamp, a bowl for bobby pins and jewelry, a potted plant, and a book I'm in the middle of (currently Catching Fire).
11. If someone walks through your house what will they immediately know about you?
I like "interesting" things like a huge framed matador, a vintage microphone, and vintage fans. They'll also see I don't use tons of color but stick to a more classic, neutral palate.
Okay now 11 more random things...
1. My middle name is Hope and I used to dislike it when I was a kid. I'd tell people my middle name was Beth (which is my sister's middle name). When I got older I realized I actually love my middle name.
2. I was obsessed with the Spice Girls when I was in 5th/6th grade and got a little emotional seeing them perform at the Olympics because they were ahmazing. I actually had a long black velvet dress and would pretend I was Posh.
3. My favorite neutral nail polish is Essie's Ballet Slippers.
4. I just discovered Kendie Everyday. Seriously, where have I been? That girl is kind of my fashion idol right now.
5. I am so excited (SO excited) for Christmas this year since we are much more settled than last year. I have been pinning ideas since June and am really gonna try to accomplish a lot of them!
6. I am only marginally less excited for Fall than I am for Christmas. It actually might be a tie. I love Fall weather, the smell of dead leaves and fireplaces, sweaters, boots, apple cider, decorating with pumpkins, and fuzzy socks.
7. My favorite breakfast food is french toast with real maple syrup. Every time we go out for breakfast I want to try something else but almost always default to french toast.
8. I pretty much hate everything on the radio and prefer Slacker Radio (kinda like Pandora but much more customizable). A few of my stations include The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford, and The Decemberists. I'm basically par for anything that falls into the "Alternative" category.
9. I read a lot of fiction and I want to get into some nonfiction. First on my list is Killing Lincoln.
10. I loved back-to-school time growing up and whenever I go into a Staples or Office Max the smell of binders and paper just brings me back.
11. I liked Je T'aime Paris so much better than I Love You New York. No comparison really.
Whew! I made it. And I ran out of time to post the 11 Questions so I'll be back with that along with my list of recipients!
Posted by Hilary at 9:15 AM